My new roommate, Justin, gave me a tour of the apartment when he came home last night. With every intricate detail he could afford, though I think he liked practicing his English. Or he was just being super nice. He is a social worker, which I am led to believe is a political student. He was working on his parties platform last night before he came back. The way he explained it, with so many words, he was on the left- left side. I told him I was a democrat and he laughed saying... you like Obama?? It was a good start.
Last night I arrived around 9pm, only getting lost once, taking me over a breathtaking bridge. I saw the street I was supposed to drive onto but they had three highways crossing in one spot and I was terrified. Since I am awful with directions, of course I went the wrong way. After my tour, I realized that I probably couldn't stay where I was parked because there was construction all over turnbull (the street I live on).
Then I got lost again, and again, it was beautiful. The mixture between well kept 200+ year old buildings and neon lights was mesmerizing!
I start work tomorrow but here are a few things I found different/ amusing while driving through Canada.
- Green lights blink (apparently so you can turn left; and go left first).
- Random words add the letter 'u' in them. Like 'labour,' and 'moulding.'
- You have to hold the handle down while pumping gas.
- Everything is in kilometers on road signs and gas is measured in liters.
- There are no websites, for almost everything! This is at least in Quebec. I'm mostly the most perturbed by the fact that I can't look up parking.
Wow, the blinking lights is so cool. Makes sense I guess. Is your roommate fun? Did you guys have canadian beer yet :)
ReplyDelete